What is Rhabdomyosarcoma?
Sarcomas are types of cancer that form on connective tissues. It is a cancer that develops with the formation of tumors in connective tissue elements such as muscle, fat, bone, blood vessels.
There were many types of sarcoma cancer and one of them is rhabdomyosarcoma. Rhabdomyomas are a type of sarcoma cancer in skeletal muscle (striated muscle) cells. It is a condition in which muscle cells formed from rhabdomyoblast cells before birth abnormally reproduce in childhood and turn into cancer. These muscles are usually found in the arms and legs. However, rhabdomyosarcoma can develop anywhere in the body.
Rhabdomyosarcoma usually occurs on the arms and legs, neck, head, genitals, chest, and abdomen.
Embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma: Seen in children. The reproductive organs develop around the excretory organs.
Alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma: It can be seen in all age groups.
Causes of Rhabdomyosarcoma
The reason is not known exactly. It can occur in the womb, after birth, or in later life.
The risk factors for this disease are:
- Hereditary causes: Rhabdomyosarcoma may develop due to the change in the genes inherited from the parents.
- Age:It usually occurs in children under 10 years of age.
- Li fraumeni syndrome
- Beckwith Wiedemann syndrome
- Tumors in the nervous system
- Costello syndrome
- Noonan syndrome
- Exposure to X-rays, drugs, alcohol and cigarettes in the womb
What Are the Symptoms of Rhabdomyosarcoma?
Since the disease can develop in different parts of the body, the symptoms also vary.
General symptoms are:
- Swelling, redness and pain due to regional tumors
- Tumors in the eyes cause swelling, strabismus and visual disturbances.
- Tumors in the reproductive and excretory organs cause blood in the urine, blood coming from the vagina, and painful discharge.
- Tumors in and around the abdomen cause vomiting, loss of appetite, abdominal pain and low back pain.
- Bone pain, weakness, cough, weight loss are also common symptoms.